British Construction Industry Awards 2018
The British Construction Industry Awards are the most prestigious awards in the built environment sector, with winning projects and teams rightly recognised for their achievements within the industry and the public at large.
Over 80 prestigious and innovative construction projects, in ten distinct categories, have been shortlisted for the British Construction Industry Awards 2018. Among those vying for an award is the Launch Ramp Groundwater Protection System – Humber Gas Pipeline project, which features in the ‘Temporary Works Initiative of the Year (Civil Engineering)’ category.
The project involved the construction and installation of a new 3.36 miles (5.4km) long replacement high pressure gas pipeline underneath the River Humber between Goxhill (North Lincolnshire) and Paull (East Riding of Yorkshire) near Hull. Sheet Piling (UK) Ltd were appointed in the early stages of the procurement process. We were able to provide industry leading expertise on sheet piling installation techniques and were able to obtain all of the necessary 3rd party approvals for the sheet piling works.
Sheet Piling (UK) Ltd were tasked with the creation of a temporary steel sheet pile Launch Pit Cofferdam at the Goxhill site. The design of the temporary sheet pile Launch Pit Cofferdam was undertaken by the in-house Skanska Temporary Works Department and required the following sheet piling elements:
- 272no 12.0m long Arcelor GU32 sheet pile sections
- 380no 21.0m long Arcelor GU32 sheet pile sections
- 8no full length interlocking sheet pile corners
- 2no sheet piles/secant pile connections
- Wadit clutch sealant to assist dewatering
The Arcelor Sheet Piles were installed over a twelve week period starting in June 2017 with completion in mid-August 2017. Over the course of the highly successful sheet pile installation phase of the project, Sheet Piling (UK) Ltd were able to add value to the sheet pile installation methodology by using only vibratory hammers, expertly eliminating the need to pre-auger and installing all 652 sheet piles to the correct pile toe level.
Our expertise meant we were able to provide the correct solutions, in order to overcome various difficult technical problems, to the mutual benefit of all those involved in this critical infrastructure project.
Other projects in the British Construction Industry Awards – Temporary Works Initiative of the Year (Civil Engineering’ category include:
- BAM Nuttall, Kirtling Street Temporary Marine Facility
- BAM Nuttall, Hollow gravity base foundations, “Float and Submerge” design
- COWI, Mersey Gateway Bridge
- Dr Sauer & Partners, BSCU Northern Line Adit Construction – SCL Temporary Works
- Fairhurst, Cremorne Wharf
- Farrans Construction Victor Buyck JV, Raising Sunderland’s Northern Spire
- Kilnbridge Construction Services, Water Street Bridge – Canary Wharf Bridge Abutment Lowering
- Mabey Hire, Collaborative bridge lifting system innovation – River Artro Viaduct, Gwynedd
- Skanska, Launch Ramp Groundwater Protection System – Humber Gas Pipeline
The full list of award categories and nominated projects can been seen at the British Construction Industry Awards website. The 2018 BCIA awards ceremony will take place on 10th October 2018 at Grosvenor House Hotel, London.- Ends -
NOTES TO EDITORS
Sheet Piling (UK) Limited is one of the UK's leading piling contractors. Owning and operating a comprehensive range of specialist piling equipment Sheet Piling (UK) Ltd also carry extensive stocks of new and used piles enabling rapid reaction to any urgent requirements or emergency situations.