Sheet Piling (UK) Ltd have significant experience in conventional or traditional piling methods for either sheet piling or high modulus retaining walls.
Conventional piling is a well established method whereby steel piles are pitched into a temporary works arrangement consisting of piling gate beams being supported on either piling trestles or spud piles. The temporary piling gates act to guide and secure the steel piles during pitching and driving.
Piles are lifted into the temporary piling gate using a suitable crawler crane and the steel piles are then installed in panels using a hydraulic vibratory hammer followed by driving using a hydraulic impact hammer to suit the ground conditions.
Conventional piling is known as a panel driving method since both interlocks are engaged before any driving takes place as the piles are threaded together above ground in the temporary piling gate to form a panel. The balancing of the friction forces ensures maximum control and accuracy. The piles are then driven in stages to an agreed sequence into the ground to allow verticality to be maintained.
This method is particularly suited for driving sheet piles in difficult ground or for penetrating rock which is unlikely to be possible with a pitch and drive method. The benefit of the temporary piling gate is that it allows for better installation tolerances to be achieved.
1. Pitch, align and plumb 1st pair.
2. Drive 1st pair carefully & accurately pitch rest of panel.
3. Ensure last pair are accurately positioned & plumbed, drive last pair.
4. Drive reminder of panel – working back towards 1st pair.
5. 1st panel part driven.
6. 2nd panel pitched. Last pair of 1st panel become 1st pair of 2nd panel. Wales supported by through bolting to last driven pair.
7. 1st panel driven to final level in stages.
Last pair of 2nd panel plumbed & driven accurately. The lower frame is usually left in position after removal of the upper frame until driving is sufficiently progressed for it to be removed.
8. 1st panel completed. 2nd panel part driven. 3rd panel pitched. Last pair of 2nd panel becomes 1st pair of 3rd panel.
Typical installation sequences for conventional steel pile installation using panel driving method are presented above.